Need a reason to stay in bed the whole day? Why not try friggatriskaidekaphobia. I haven’t lost my mind or invent a new word. Friggatriskaidekaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th. Frigga being the name of the Norse goddess for whom “Friday” is named in English and triskaidekaphobia meaning fear of the number thirteen.The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in North Carolina estimates that 17 to 21 million people in the U.S. have a diagnosable phobia of Friday the 13th.
Lucky for us believers out there, there is only one “bad luck” day this year – 13 June.
Whether you intend to step bravely into the world on Friday the 13th or hide away under your bed, there are certain rules that need to be followed or you will suffer the dire consequences.
- Watch horror movies – start with Friday the 13th.
- Lock ALL the doors.
- Cover all mirrors. Even better to get rid of them before the 13th. Remember breaking a mirror on this day causes 7 years of bad luck.
- Stay dressed and don’t take a shower.
- Avoid funeral processions or you will be the next to die.
- Unplug all electrical appliances. Do not under any circumstances insert a fork into the toaster.
- Stay away from black cats, ladders, traffic, airplanes, ships, high powered machinery, knives, slippery floors, elevators, anything that could be used as a weapon, mentally unstable people…
Maybe you should just stay under your bed and wait for the clock to strike midnight.
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/54159370@N08/6293313169/”>keeva999</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/”>cc</a>