Are you thinking of using an alien in your next novel? Writing science fiction and fantasy can be very rewarding. You’re not bound by rules – your imagination is the only limit. As with any character, it is important to take time and develop the alien race you’re creating.
- Physical appearance – How does the alien look? Remember you’re not bound by any rules. He can be as weird looking as you want him to be. Don’t be lazy and make your alien look like a dog. Except if it is crucial to the story. He’s an alien – make him look like an alien! If you can, make a sketch before you delve into a detailed description.
- Personality – will an alien behave the same as a human being? You have to decide on the basics – is he good or evil. Are they able to love or hate? Giving an alien human attributes will make the reader able to identify with the alien as a character. Give the alien quirks, goals and the desire/reason for acting the way he does.
- History – aliens must originate from somewhere. Yes, you have to build their world, even if your story is taking place on earth. It is maybe the most important aspect to creating an alien. The atmosphere, gravity, how the planet looks has a ripple effect on the physical appearance as well as personality. A planet covered with oceans will most likely have creatures that have fish-like attributes. All living beings evolve to adapt to their environment. Delve into the history of the planet. Were there wars or any cataclysmic events that shaped their future?
- Be realistic – I know I said your imagination is the only limit, but you also have to be realistic. If an alien has no physical form or is a huge slimy blob, how on earth did he build a spaceship?
Here is a list of questions to ask when creating an alien:
– How does he breathe?
– What does he eat?
– How does he move?
– Can he speak and what language does he use? If he speaks English in your novel – how is it possible?
– Why is he on earth? (or where your story is taking place)
– What is his goal? Has he invaded earth for its resources?
– What is his culture? Delve into questions about beliefs, customs and religion. It will indicate how he will act.
– Does he have any special abilities? Does he have super powers or telepathic abilities?
– Is he from a technologically advanced species or not?
– How does he travel? Spaceship, stargate etc.
– How human is he? Does he have feelings? Is it necessary for him to have human traits?
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/4756027365/”>x-ray delta one</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/”>cc</a>
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/8932849420/”>x-ray delta one</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/”>cc</a>
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/5329333422/”>x-ray delta one</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/”>cc</a>